Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Thanksgiving and a Buddy Read!


Hello all and Happy Thanksgiving!   

The dam at the lake on a nice summer's evening
I'm going ahead and doing this post right now before I leave for the lake where there is little to no internet.  I'll be able to check messages and email and such but it involves a hike and searching for 4G connectivity.  I'm also having struggles with my laptop as well, as it takes a significant amount of effort to even charge the damn thing.  It may be a power cord issue or it may be a time to get a new laptop. We shall see after the holiday I guess.

So yeah, Thanksgiving with my family is always chaos.  We will be cramming 20+ people into a house and trying to all get along for a couple of days.  There will be 11 cousins, a bunch of aunts and uncles and parents, some second cousins, some little children and my father who will probably be in the kitchen laughing and causing subtle chaos.  There is a reason he is called The Puppetmaster.  I have some family members who are somewhat easily offended and he owns them during the holiday season.  The general rule with my father is if you find your blood pressure rising and the hair on the back of your neck standing up, he is just screwing with you to try to get a rise out of you.

There is also the Iron Bowl this weekend, if that means anything to the football fans out there.  I'm from Alabama and I apparently have to pick a side in all of this Alabama/Auburn debate.  Personally, I like Auburn but there is no rhyme or reason to it.  My brother is an Alabama fan and after last year, he is sort of looking for redemption.  It doesn't really matter to me but it is fun to watch him get all upset.

Both of the dogs got baths last night for the occasion and neither was very happy about it.  These are the faces of good dogs who didn't deserve this and are very upset with me right now.
Why did you do this to me? I love you and I never do this to you!
I will be traumatized for the rest of my life!

Tara hates baths to begin with so we usually give her a bath in the laundry sink in the basement where it is easier to contain the escape attempts.  However, Beulah is too big for the sink and it is too cold for the hose so this fiasco got moved inside.  Beulah was so upset that she couldn't figure out how to get out of the door and Tara didn't look at me for the rest of the night.

It will be a 4 hour drive tonight up to Tennessee where my mother and I will spend the next day and a half prepping for dinners and football and such.  Hopefully, I'll be given the opportunity to sit down and relax at some point though which brings me to my next order of business, NEW BOOKS!

Some GR friends and I have started a group that is basically buddy reads for fun, mostly with series or YA books.  We were getting bored with some of the stuff we were reading and realized we were all reading the same books anyways so we started the group just so we can talk with each other about the books and not cram up our reviews.  

This sort of started with the Ghost Bird series and snowballed from there.  We were fangirling (really bad) about our book boyfriends and debating with each other on our reviews and it was hard to keep everything straight.  There was finally a breaking point when we made a list of the next books we wanted to read and then the thread was starting to get long and we had that "Ah, screw it" moment.

We called it Book Talk and anybody can join in!  

Our first read will be Splintered by A.G. Howard and we will start it on Thanksgiving.  Look at this cover. Just look at it.


This book is a new take on Alice in Wonderland and I am super pumped for it.  I've already put it on my kindle and it keeps staring at me.  I will resist though, for just another couple of days. Probably.  It's calling to me though and it is so pretty. I'm like a moth to the flame, I can't resist a beautiful and well rendered cover. It looks like it even has some hints about the plot!

The goal is to finish this by Sunday so we can talk about this book next week and possibly get to the next book in the series soon.  I've heard only wonderful things about Splintered and I am really looking forward to this.  It will be a thing to look forward to over the holiday.

Does anybody else have big plans for Thanksgiving?  Major turkey day or just a day to relax and watch football? Drop me a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment